The Karate Kid-When Things Don't Make Sense to You Part 1

8:55 AM







The Karate Kid
Have you ever had to do anything and it just didn’t make any sense to you?  For example you can get a NEW annoying assignment at work, or all of a sudden there is someone that you have to speak with all the time, and you find this person highly annoying, or all of a sudden you just have to visit a specific place all the time, it can be absolutely anything.  Then once you get tired of doing this, you ask God “why do I have to do this Lord?”
I have been through situations like this many times in my life.  God has placed people in my life and had me do things and I would just look up and say “Lord why?” For example at the age of 8 or 9 my aunt came to live with us from Dominican Republic.  She is a Jehovah’s Witness.  I got really close to her and still am very close to her.  We developed a really strong bond.  Through her dedication I learned the importance of reading the Bible, spreading the gospel and studying the different books of the Bible entirely.  If God had not placed her in my path I would not have learned the importance of reading the Bible because no one in my family was doing that at the time.  My mother had the Bible opened to Psalm 91 and that is how it stayed forever.  So that is an example of a situation where I didn’t understand the reason WHY God had placed my aunt in our home, but as time progressed the reason became clear.  I am also pretty sure that she had asked herself at some point why she was in my home.
Now fast forward to the present, over the summer, I had to write patient notes.  I work in Clinical Research and we see patients daily.  When the Research Fellow left the task of writing patient notes fell on me.  I didn’t like it at all because it requires a lot of work and you have to be very detailed.  You have to ask many questions to gain clarification from the patients, the notes with future recommendations have to be included and any events that have happened previously.
I just asked God, why do I have to do this, why was I picked to write these notes?  I was upset because I just didn’t want the responsibility.  At the time that this was happening I didn’t understand.  A couple of months down the line I had to start assisting with writing protocols for new clinical trial studies.  After I was told I had to do this new assignment everything became crystal clear to me.  God wanted me polish up my writing skills so that when this opportunity came along, I would be better prepared to handle it.  Through writing patient notes, I became more detailed oriented, I learned to pick up on minor details that could be missed but were important enough to be included in the patient notes. Polishing up on this one skill helps me tremendously when I have to assist in writing protocols as this task is also very detail oriented.

Now I know that you might be asking yourselves how this ties into the title of this blog entry The Karate Kid?  I am going to give you a brief summary of the movie.  Daniel, the main character in the Karate Kid movie, moves to California from New Jersey.  He is a teenager at the time of this move.  We all know the teenaged years are very difficult.  He moves into an apartment complex and there he meets Mr. Miyagi.  He starts school and he is now “the new kid on the block”.  In the school he falls in love with a beautiful girl that dated one of the meanest kids in the school.  Long story short this mean kid starts picking on him and beats him up really bad one day.  After this incident Daniel befriends Mr. Miyagi and this man has him start a project of buffing his floors, and painting his fence for. Daniel starts this project and one day he gets really angry and he start yelling at Mr. Miyagi and tells him that he wants to learn karate not do this cleaning and painting.  At this point, Mr. Miyagi tells him, “Wax on wax off” and reminds him of the movements that he had him do for waxing the floors and painting the fences.  At this moment all of this comes full circle for Daniel.  These are the same karate movements he has to PERFECT/MASTER in order to win the karate tournament, where he will be competing against that same mean kid that beat him up earlier in the movie.  (Part 1 of 2)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Daily Scripture

Send A Message

Name

Email *

Message *